I have the great fortune to help make Fearrington Village Bee Better. Last week, the guys and I installed a Bird Bubblier. When Greg Fitch approached me to make on a year ago, I didn’t see a place for one in any of my gardens, but now that Zac and I picked up the bulk of Julian’s gardens, and in one of those, I felt we found the perfect spot. Check out this how-to for your garden. Chick HERE.
Did you know a bird is three times more likely to die in the winter from the lack of water than the lack of berries and seed? Even if you have to crack the the ice in your birdbaths, do so. One simple action can make the world of difference.
Both at Fearrington Village and at the Bee Better Teaching Garden the mulching is complete. The BBTG only needed the composted leaf mulch spread, and the remainder of my gardens at Fearrington Village were mulched. I embrace mulch for all its values, including moderating temperature, retaining moisture, keeping weeds out, adding nutrients as the mulch breaks down, and fresh mulch makes the garden look fantastic.
There were still areas needing filled in with pinestraw. All the collected pinestraw I gathered in the fall was used, so I had to buy a few bales from Campbell Road Nursery.
At both Fearrington Village and the BBTG bird feeders stay full. Click HERE what birds like what seeds and feeders. Fearrington Village gardens are bird friendly. This was one of the commitments that made my choice to work there. And of course, the BBTG is always ready to supplement feed for the birds even though, our main focus is on the plants.
POLLEN & NECTAR PLANTS
The Prunus mume ‘Bridal Vail’ is in full bloom this week. It looked good in the below pic, but now the flowers are opened further!
Also blooming are a grouping of Lesser Celandine, probably Ranunculus ficaria. As soon as the sun its the plant, the flowers open up. There is a tiny bee that is gathering nectar and pollen. I need to see if I can identify it.
I did my spring house cleanup over the Christmas holidays. This weekend, I did the garden spring clean up. I was surprised how much there was to be done!
One of the main jobs was to put my potting bench back in service. It was next to the shed and covered in gardening stuff. I moved it to go behind the garden house. Now I have a decent work station again. Given the number of how-tos I like to do, I really needed a new staging area. The last how-to, I even forgot to get the beginning gathering shot!
Once that was in place, I was able to move other things in the back storage, including a fox trap David made me, but we haven’t seen the fox in a while.
In the kid’s old fort part of their old swing set is the area for electrical cords and lights. They were covered in a half-inch of oak leaf mulch. I managed to get the cords organized and the leaves removed.
Planted a few hollies. For winter food for the birds, you can’t beat our native dwarf holly, Ilex glabra ‘Shamrock’, inkberry holly, named for their very dark berries.
Theere is an outside high voltage line that feeds the fountain, lighting, and the shed. He will come Wednesday and get this sorted out.
The terra-cotta pots found a new home, organized under the large Brown Turkey fig.
The girls, Jamie, and I enjoyed a nice fire.
And we got a new refrigerator! It took a week for us to decide, then have it delivered. I’ve gotten use to not having one.
There are four new hanging pots in the BBTG. I’ve not filled them yet, it’s too soon. I found them at Lowes; although they are plastic, not my favorite, but the color is perfect.
On a rainy Sunday, I make it an indoor day. Even though it wasn’t raining hard, I had a good day in the garden Friday. I even took Saturday off in the garden. Things are slowing down before they pick up next month!!!
Inside, I read, painted, cooked, cleaned, wrote…